Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Earworms

Sounds like some kind of sick parasite, right? No, it's what Stephen King refers to as those songs that just get stuck in your head and you can't get them out. I read an article that he wrote about this in Entertainment Weekly, which I found to be pretty funny. Actually, the more articles of his that I read, the more I think that he and I are alike (scary, huh?). His earworm happened to be that Free Credit Report.com commercial where the guy is dressed as a pirate. I don't think that is too bad because I think those commercials are funny. My earworm is a little more irritating because I don't really understand the song! I don't listen to the radio that often, but when I do, this song always seems to be on! It is "Human" by The Killers. I hear it as I go to sleep. I hear it when I wake up in the morning. I hear it when I'm in the car with the stereo off! At first I liked it. But it's one of those songs that as you hum along and start thinking about the lyrics, you think, "What the heck does that mean?" "Are we human, or are we dancer?" It makes me crazy! I think what gets me the most is that the word dancer doesn't have an "s" at the end. Oh well, maybe it could be considered a step up from "Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy" by the Wiggles that would go through my head for months a few years ago. Oh great, I think I just triggered something by typing the name of that song . . . .
Anyways, to the few of you who read this, what have been some of those earworms that irritate you? Maybe if I try singing the lyrics to them I'll be able to get rid of mine.

3 comments:

  1. Lol. that is too funny!! I know exactly what you mean. There are many songs that get stuck in my head and can get pretty irritating!! It's not just only songs, but commercials on TV, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I constantly have the theme songs to the girls' favorite cartoons in my head... like Dora, Max & Ruby, and Diego. There aren't a lot of words, so the few that there are go through my head OVER and OVER and OVER. (Although they like the Wiggles too... Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My earworm has been, "Gives you hell," by All American Rejects. I know exactly what it means! I just have to be careful not to sing too loudly around the kids. Jeff, on the other hand, has been singing "Come thou Fount," for about 6 years now, but I kind of like it! Also I used to think he actually sang in the shower, but when I asked him about it he said he was just reciting The Oath and Covnenant of the Priesthood. I wonder if he gets sick of being so righteous.

    ReplyDelete

All of My Boys

All of My Boys
You can either see this titled as "This place is a zoo," or "This is where they really belong."

This is just for you, Dylan

This is just for you, Dylan
Now you can check out my blog and see pictures so you won't be so lonely when you're out of town. Love, Lori