Thursday, October 15, 2009

Memorable Recipes

Isn't it wonderful when certain recipes bring back memories from the past? I was making some hot sandwiches that my mom used to make this time of year the other night, and it brought back all of these memories. First, there were the Friday's when my mom and grandma would get together to make a bunch of these sandwiches to take to the Friday night Clovis High football game (when my brother used to play). Those were fun, even though I've never been a big football fan. Then I remembered the Halloween parties I used to have! They were so fun! My sister-in-law would help me plan the haunted house for two weeks before they were held. We'd turn the back patio into a haunted parlor by draping black plastic from the patio roof. My parents usually had a lot of corn in their large garden that we'd take the group through, and one year we even had a haunted forest in the Eucalyptus trees where we had the wolfman hanging out. We never had a problem finding help, family members would always volunteer to dress up as Freddy Kruger or Jason wielding a chainsaw to scare my friends. And to think, sandwiches brought back all of these fond memories. They used to be called something like "Hot Crusty sandwiches", but I've renamed them to "Tasty Little Devils." They are really easy to make. Here's the recipe, and yes, I know. Just from the first few ingredients they sound like a gastrointestinal explosion waiting to happen, but those who've tried them really like them;)

2 4.5 oz. cans deviled ham
5 boiled eggs
1lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 can chopped olives
1 can green chili's
Salt and Pepper
1-2 Tbsp mayonnaise to moisten
2 bags of 12 count Sweet French rolls (my favorite is Basque)

All you do is cube the eggs and cheese and combine the first 7 ingredients. Then you open the rolls and scoop out some of the bread to make a nice pocket. Fill each roll with about 2-3 Tbsp. of filling. Wrap each sandwich in foil, then cook at 350 for 20 min. Be careful, because the filling is very hot and rather messy.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Lori you get the quote of the day award for "gastrointestinal explosion waiting to happen"! Funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun memories! I love to think back to my childhood! When I wasn't the one responsible for making all the fun, just enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

All of My Boys

All of My Boys
You can either see this titled as "This place is a zoo," or "This is where they really belong."

This is just for you, Dylan

This is just for you, Dylan
Now you can check out my blog and see pictures so you won't be so lonely when you're out of town. Love, Lori