Thursday, June 25, 2009

A craving . . .



Can you crave a smell? Some things that I enjoyed so much when I was little growing up on a hay farm were the smells of it during the summer. At night my dad would turn on the sprinklers in the hayfield next to our house, and the first scent that would hit your senses was of the freshly dampened earth. I've always loved that smell. Especially if it was created by the beginning of a summer thunder storm. Just the first few minutes of the storm is when it smells the best, as the drops of rain kick up the powdery layer of dirt from the ground. I seriously craved this smell whenever I was pregnant.
Back to the hayfield, though. After the damp earth smell, I can recall the sweet smell of alfalfa hay. And the sound of the impact sprinklers would lull me to sleep, as each sprinkler head rotated slowly almost full circle, then sped up as it reversed rotation to return to back to the start. I remember that you could feel the nighttime temperature cool as soon as those sprinklers started up. I guess I miss more than just the smell.

4 comments:

  1. Lori, you sound nostalgic? Reading your post I could honestly smell what you are missing! Bryan and I love the smell of rain and every time it rained we'd open our windows and let the breeze flow right in and you can really smell the wet dirt from the outside and it smelled so cleaned!! I remember growing up to the roosters crowing every morning, it's nothing like the smell you miss, but I kind of miss it though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell of cut hay is the smell of my childhood. I can remember going for evening rides with my mom and dad our to Herriman and smelling the cut hay...it always meant summer was almost over.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently you can crave it and you are making me do just that! That sounds like such a nice way to grow up! Your comments on my blog cracked me up!!! We are enjoying the summer so far...spending lots of time with my family (we are in Vegas right now). However, we have officially hit the age of fighting! What is that all about? I wake to it in the morning and if it isn't a full blown argument, it is teasing. I need to nip it now or we are in for a long two months! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your posts Lori!! They seriously make me so relaxed, next time I am stressed out I will come to your blog! By the way, you need to stop by my photog blog....there are some seriously good looking boys on there!!

    ReplyDelete

All of My Boys

All of My Boys
You can either see this titled as "This place is a zoo," or "This is where they really belong."

This is just for you, Dylan

This is just for you, Dylan
Now you can check out my blog and see pictures so you won't be so lonely when you're out of town. Love, Lori