Sunday, April 26, 2009

Weaknesses



Some of you may know that I teach in Relief Society, the Teachings for Our Times lessons to be exact. Funny that I get the one calling that I fear the most, right? Thankfully it has been a learning experience. I've never been a great teacher . . . I get too nervous and I feel like my lessons never really have a flow to them. I usually rely on my notes so much that I'm looking down most of the time, and not at the audience, which, by the way, is what gave me my first "C" in my life in Speach class in college. But I've really taken Ether 12:27 to heart where it says, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I'm beginning to understand this in a different light now. I decided to put this promise to the test, and have asked the Lord to help me with my lessons and help me to be a more competent teacher. I feel that He helped me in my lesson today. Instead of being so tied to my notes (namely relying on my own thoughts) I was able to let go of that crutch and rely on the Spirit a little bit more. I know this may seem small to some, but it was a big leap of faith for me. Bit by bit, the Lord is teaching me and helping me to be better at what I lack strength in. Maybe the next weakness I pray about will be staying away from that stash of Dove chocolates that I have hidden in the cabinet next to the Pantry:)

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand. My calling is so scary to me! (Yes, even after a year.) I read Elder Eyring's message from this month's Ensign and it really helped to calm me and clarify what I need to do. If I focus on the simplicity instead of being worried about the extras, then I'll be OK. I'm so glad I don't have to teach RS though, the YW are stressful enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just SO bummed that I don't get to go to RS and listen to your lessons. I really miss those being in Primary! I never doubted for a second that you would do a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I know where to go for my fix next time I am at your house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally see you teaching in Relief Society, you have such a sweet spirit about you Lori, so loving and caring. I know exactly how you feel when it comes to teaching and many times, I rely on the spirit and help of our Father to get through it and at every lesson, when I taught the Laotian sisters, I was so scared and I would always tell people, I'm not good at this, I don't think I can do it, but like you said, once you let go and turn to the Lord for help, it's so much better. Congrats on your calling, you will touch many lives, I know you did with mine. Thanks for sharing with us. Oh, the chocolate dove, I think I need to do the same, too! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lessons are always so great! Thanks for all the prep time you put into them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could listen to one of your lessons...I didn't know you had to teach last Sunday with Dylan gone...I am sorry that I didn't help out at all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lessons are always wonderful. As for the Dove chocolates I would be happy to take them off your hands if you need me to. :)

    ReplyDelete

All of My Boys

All of My Boys
You can either see this titled as "This place is a zoo," or "This is where they really belong."

This is just for you, Dylan

This is just for you, Dylan
Now you can check out my blog and see pictures so you won't be so lonely when you're out of town. Love, Lori